Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cheshire Home 5K

For my second 5K of the short-race season, I ran the small, but very friendly Cheshire Home 5K through Florham Park and Madison. It was another hilly course - I could tell while driving to the location, but I was still confident that a PR could be in the cards.



Instead of mile repeats, I was doing eight 400-meter repeats on Wednesdays, shooting for 1:28 or better for each interval. Some times I burned up the track with 1:21; other times, it was a sluggish 1:31. But, mostly, I stayed at or beat my goal. Everything was on track (pardon the pun).

I had registered at the Cheshire Home website, but when I got to Madison High School to pick up my bib, they didn't have me on file. Thankfully, and this is HUGE, the nice woman believed me when I told her I registered and already paid by credit card. If she had made me pay again, that would have soured my whole experience. Big thanks to the staff for being so trusting!

With only a hundred or so people, there was no doubt I should be at the front of the pack and had no trouble getting there. The race began with a flat and downhill stretch that turned a right corner onto another flat straightaway. I bolted out in front, but another runner quickly passed me in the first mile. I stayed hot on his trail, though I could not bridge the small but significant gap.

Another right turn sent us uphill and while I pushed up the hill with all my might, the front runner seemed to be as adept with the hills as I. Completing the rectangular course with one more right turn brought some rolling hills. I still kept the leader in sight, always feeling like I had him in my clutches, but never quite able to catch him. I felt like I lost a little steam and never recovered from that earlier hill and I was right. After cresting the final incline, the clock became visible and I could see, as the winner crossed that it was just past the elusive 18:30 that I can't seem to break. He crossed at 18:33 and I was still pushing through fatigue, finally hitting the finish at 18:44.

Am I going to complain about an 18:44? No way. Am I going to complain about coming in second place overall, even though my first-ever win was actually possible? Not a chance. This was a wholly rewarding race. Afterward, there was a fantastic food spread inside the Cheshire Home and people with whom it was lovely to talk.

I will, however, complain about the second instance of being overlooked in one day. When it came time to announce the overall and age-group winners, they completely forgot about me. They gave a trophy to the winner then proceeded to distribute age-group awards.

"Okay," I thought, "they're not doing Top Three overall, which is unusual, so instead of an award second place overall, I'll get the award for first in my age group."
But instead, the Top Three awards in my age group were given to the three men on their 30s who finished after me! They completely forgot about me!

Look, I know it sounds silly, but I am a sensitive guy. I take it personally when I'm neglected like that. Besides, after bringing it up afterwards, they apologized and gave me a trophy for first in age group. Not the overall silver medal for which I was hoping for, but fair and accurate nonetheless. I mean, five years ago, I had never won a medal or trophy for anything ever in my life. Who am I to quibble at this point?

No comments:

Post a Comment