Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spring racing season

With the Gansett Marathon behind me, it is time to start shaping my spring racing season. I find that, thanks to Hal Higdon's Post-Marathon training program, starting from scratch and training for a 5K is the best way to move forward after a marathon.
There is no shortage of spring 5Ks in northern New Jersey, so the pickings should be easy and plentiful. Unfortunately, I painted myself into a corner with all the other activities I planned, so I wanted to begin ASAP.

Five weeks is the standard turnaround time and I had my heart set on Pediatric Angel Network Classic 5K in Madison on May 19. That fell through when I injured myself and then got sick last week. Starting all over again, I decided I would be ready on June 2. I have few other options now, what with the Gogol Bordello show in Montclair that night (ruling out June 3); a family party on Long Island on June 9 (killing that whole weekend); and the Phish shows in Atlantic City from June 15 to 18, Wantagh, N.Y., on July 3 and 4, and Saratoga Springs, N.Y., on July 7 and 8.

Take a look at the description of my blog - this is now the conundrum of my life. How do I balance racing with Phish tour? Can I run my best when I am up late dancing at Phish shows? Can I enjoy Phish shows when I am up early for races? During last year's tour, I was marathon training. Now, I want to be short racing.

We shall see how it goes, but one thing is for certain - I need to make a great showing at the Hoboken Catholic Academy 5K on June 2 because it may be my only real shot until June 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment