Monday, May 13, 2013

Building Tomorrows 5K

Having edged out my three-year standing 5K PR on my first race of the season, it was time to push my luck and go for the elusive 10K.  For some reason, that distance has been the toughest for me and, despite repeated attempts, I have not been able to beat the 39:20 that I ran in 2007.

It was mid-April and I had a race in mind for May 4, so that would mean jumping into the middle of Hal Higdon's Advanced 10K training program.  And smack dab in the middle of that program was a 5K race.

Why not?  I had nothing to lose since I had already gotten my PR.  It would be a good time trial, two weeks after my record-busting 5K and two weeks until the 10K.

It just so happened that taking place on April 20 was the Building Tomorrows 5K in Brookdale Park, Bloomfield, N.J.  Holy moly, that was my first ever 5K race, back in 2006.  After coaching Alexis for her race, it felt natural to continue the nostalgia trip.  Seven years after running this race as a beginner with a 22:51, it was time for me to come "home" as the improved runner I had become.

It all felt so right, entering the park where, in the years since, I have done much of my interval work (the track there is beautiful and well kept) and passed through in my 13-mile runs.  This was now familiar territory for me - I knew every incline and decline of the park and would use it to my advantage.

For some reason, I thought the race went briefly outside the park in 2006, so it was surprising when we ended up running two loops.  I blasted out with the front-runners and decided to simply go for it.  Push, push, push, push.  Worst case scenario, I poop out.  No biggie.  Best case scenario, another great race.

First mile in the 5:40s.  Bam!  Up the long incline on the lovely tree-lined path at the edges of the park, passing a few guys.  Second mile -just over 12 minutes.  Bounding downhill, not holding back.   Pushing up that hill again with all my might, I vividly recalled the first time I did it, so long ago.  Smiling, hurting, pushing all the while.  

I could not believe my eyes at the finish line - 18:29.  I just ran my second best 5K, two weeks after running my best.  Who peaks like this at 38 years old?

Elated and unable to stop, I ran the loop again...and again.  And when I finally stopped, back at the finish line where there was plenty of food, drink, music and good vibes, I felt like I had closed the circle from my first 5K to my 26th.  I remembered feeling like I was finally really a runner at that very spot in April 2006.  And now, I am better than ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment