Friday, August 29, 2014

Running the Patriot's Path (or, at least, trying)

Where the Lenape Trail ends in Roseland, Essex County, the Patriots Path in East Hanover, Morris County, begins.  So I continued on...

Unfortunately, after the first mile or two, the trail is extremely overgrown with wild vegetation.  It seems to have been completely ignored for maintenance and path-clearing. At first, I tried to power through it, but as my legs got bloodied from thorn bushes, I could not take it anymore and turned back to the nearest road crossing (through the same bushes).  

Having lived in Morris County in the past, I have a general knowledge of the main roads, so I worked my way through some of the familiar streets and managed to keep meeting up with the path entrances off of the streets.  Each time I ventured back onto the trail, I was faced with the same problem.  Finally, somewhere in Hanover (or perhaps Parsippany-Troy Hills), I turned around and took the main roads back to my starting point, completing my 19-mile run, but not thrilled about the Patriots Path.

Today, I happened to speak with someone who told me that the western parts are much better maintained and easier to navigate.  With that knowledge, I hope to explore more of the trails the Patriots Path in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment