Friday, May 29, 2015

This must be progress

After several weeks of physical therapy, it made sense to continue on my own. I am good like that. Diligent.

Five days a week, I do my therapy exercises and some running. I prefer the discipline of being on a training program, so I put myself on Hal Higdon's intermediate 5K schedule. 

In the middle of the eight weeks, a six-mile run and a 35-minute tempo run left me in agony. Last Thursday, during a slow but excruciating three-miler, I sincerely considered hanging it up for good. I had a good decade as a runner; perhaps it was time to admit it was over.

Then I rested for two days and ran a test 5K - not a real race, but a 3.1 mile run on my own for which I wore my racing shoes and ran as fast as I could. 

The result was 19:31. Nowhere near my skills from six months ago, but a triumph considering all that has happened.

The training schedule will end on June 21, when I should run a real 5K, but for now I have no plans to do so. It is still too frustrating to think that it will be a half of a year since my injury and I am still struggling.

But there is progress. Slow, painful progress. But still, undeniable progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment