Friday, April 1, 2016

The beginning of a decade of racing

I distinctly remember laying on the concrete bleachers in Brookdale Park in Bloomfield, N.J., telling my mom on the phone how nervous I was.

In my eight months as a runner I had run greater distances than three miles. Heck, I had done eight by then. But this?  This was a race. And races were for real runners and that was not me. I was just a guy who ran (and not a whole lot), not a "runner".

That was 10 years ago today at the Building Tomorrows 5K, my first race ever.

It happened completely organically. After weighing in at 175 pounds in 2003, I started frequenting the gym, first at the Y then at William Paterson University, a few days a week. By August 2005, I had grown accustomed to my semi-daily workouts, so when the Rec Center closed for maintenance for a couple of weeks, I decided to hit the pavement.

I jogged.  In my old sneakers and sweatpants.  Sometimes in jeans.  On Route 46 in Parsippany.  I had no idea what I was doing.  But I kept doing it and I liked it; and I had no desire to go back to elliptical machines.

So by the time my friend Elaine told me about the April 1 5K at Brookdale, I should have been totally ready, but I was absolutely terrified.

It is weird how certain little details come back in my mind. I do not recall the start, but I remember that it did not take long for the fear to turn to joy while running along the park's paths.  At the end of a downhill I recall smiling to the volunteers as they cheered me on.  I even remember that "American Idiot" by Green Day was playing on my first-generation iPod Shuffle (courtesy of my big brother) at that moment.

I also distinctly remember getting freaked out at the uphill climb into the home stretch and the elation of crossing the finish at 22:51 (7:21 pace) – 64th overall, 58th of 229 males, and fifth of 22 men age 30-34.

It was the start of something amazing and addictive in my life.  It has become the focus of my attention for a decade, the basis for the goals I strive to attain.

Ten years later, I still often run at Brookdale Park, and I still can not help but smile when I do.

1 comment:

  1. This comment was emailed to me by my mom (-DG_:

    "I most certainly remember that first race & how it began your LOVE of running & competing.

    I watched you improve and challenge yourself as a marathon runner. Always doing your very best and accepting the challenge, as you do with everything in your life.

    As a short distance runner for 37 years l understand commitment and am proud to say you continually train hard and succeed my son. Look at all you have accomplished over the past decade.

    I have tried to be there to support you at as many marathons as possible and will continue to do so, if not in body then in spirt! You are truly amazing! Go Danny Go❤️ Love Mom🏃🏽"

    ReplyDelete