Friday, August 12, 2016

Phish at Xfinity Theatre, Hartford, CT, July 9, 2016

After the debacle of Great Woods (Xfinity Center, whatever), I had hoped that Gloria and I could have a much better overall experience the following night in Hartford at the Meadows Music Theatre (Xfinity Theatre, seriously…ugh).  This was to be my 127th Phish show, but my last of the tour, so it had to hold me over for several months.  It was also Gloria's second show and I really, really wanted her to come away on a positive note.  

What we got exceeded both of our expectations...and my favorite show of the tour.  



Me and Gloria, pre-show



Right from the rare "Pigtail" opener (only the third time played and I saw the first one on 12/28/2010), I suspected we would be in for a treat.  I was hoping for some danceable tunes so Gloria could enjoy getting down and letting loose, and "The Moma Dance" and "Halley's Comet" fit the bill nicely.  Even the faster rock of "Birds of a Feather", the slower funk of "Meat", and the classic-rock stomp of "Free" kept our bodies moving.  



"Pigtail"


None of the jams veered to far away and were generally short and tight, but with great effect.  There is nothing quite like a well-played, song-driven first set.  It reminded me of 12/30/1994 - a first set that looks unremarkable on paper but is of the utmost quality.  The staccato rhythms of "Vultures" and the infrequently played ballad "Let Me Lie" (which, along with "Pigtail" sees much more action with the Trey Anastasio Band) had the group playing with ease, so when the best "Julius" I have heard in a long time ended, the set could have ended and I would have been happy.


But Phish being Phish, they surprised everyone and blasted into a killer "You Enjoy Myself" - the first Set One appearance of the song in two years.  Everything was right in the world for 18 glorious minutes as all composed parts were played with precision, Mike Gordon and Trey did their trampoline choreography, Trey played the synthetic Marimba Lumina percussion, and Page McConnell and Mike swapped places (I have never seen Page play electric bass!).  The set ended beautifully.









Picking up where they left off, the second set started with a fantastic "Down With Disease" that was as long at the "YEM", and the band simply refused to let up as a super-funky "Sand" had Page doing what he does best as he stood up to play his clavinet (as they say, when Page gets up, you gets down).

There was more rocking to be had with "Carini" after a lovely "Tela".  The only low point was the coda to "Twenty Years Later" which often has trouble lifting off in its odd-time-signature coda which simply meandered around for way too long.


The "Run Like an Antelope" recovery had Gloria commenting about the great buildup.  Once again, the set could have ended there and no one would have gone home unhappy.  But unlike the first set, the final number, "Backwards Down the Number Line", had a shaky start and was extremely subdued, almost perfunctory.



"Run Like an Antelope"

The last time "The Lizards" was played, it was the encore of (1/2/2016), so I am sure everyone was as surprised as I was that its return was in the same slot.  No complaints here - especially because that ending section gets me every time.  To follow that up with a high-flying, big-climaxing, show-closing "Loving Cup", was the best way to rest any doubt that this show could redeem the badness that surrounded the previous night's show.  


With all of my expectations met - amazing playing, easier parking situation, and Gloria's satisfaction with the night - I was content to go home after my seven show run.  It was yet another summer tour to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment