Sunday, October 9, 2016

My first 15K - Sept. 9, 2006 - Run Around the Block, New Shoreham, RI

Ten years ago, I participated in the Run Around the Block for my first 15K ever and my third time on Block Island.  Here is my report from that 2006 race:



The 31st Annual Block Island 15K, known as the "Run Around the Block", took place on Saturday. I had some doubts about running it -- I suffered yet another injury in my left leg only 8 days before (I think I pulled a muscle) -- but I was determined. This would be my longest race yet, and it would be the first time running more than nine miles since April.

I'd done a 10K, but wasn't ready for a half-marathon, so 9.3 miles was nicely in between. Plus, Block Island is a beautiful place. What runner wouldn't enjoy its scenery? This race was the perfect end-of-summer goal.

100_8047_start

After three hours of sleep, three hours of driving to the ferry, and a nap on the hour-long ferry ride, I landed on Block Island and hiked to the starting line.

Yawning as I walked, it was not lost on me that the enormous hill I was climbing was part of the race course. This made me nervous, but I've done hill training; I felt ready.

What I did not expect was the entire course to be a series of hills. For 9.3 miles, the 424 runners were either trudging up inclines or hitting the brakes on sharp declines. We huffed, we puffed, some walked, some soldiered on. I refused to walk or even slow down. But at the 7.5 mile marker, when it was painfully clear that I had to either slow down or throw up, I relented and eased my pace a little, letting a few people pass me by and trying not to be discouraged.

I pushed hard up what I thought was the last hill, and knowing I had less than a mile to go, I let loose. The sadistic organizers of the run, however, made sure that after nine miles of painful, hilly torture, B.I.'s runners would face one last ridiculously steep incline before seeing the finish line. 
100_8053_last_hill

I don't how I gathered the strength to climb it, but once over the crest, I sprinted with all my might to the finish, to clock in with a result of just under 70 minutes.


100_8051_finish

Elated, relieved and nauseated, I rejoiced in having conquered something new. I received no medals or special recognition (and I don't expect I ever will, not even for my age group); those are for the elite athletes. I'm an everyday runner who finished his first 15K, proud of myself for setting a goal and beating it. 

100_8058_postrace




That's the best prize of all. There are still more hills to climb in my journey, but today, I can rest, and bask in the glow of that achievement.


No comments:

Post a Comment