Sunday, January 14, 2018

PCTI Winter Series 5K, Race 1 - Jan. 14, 2018

"...so the course is a little long..." said Ross Mistretta, the organizer of the small PCTI Winter Series, as he explained the course turns before the race.

Wait, what?  Did I just not pay $100 to run a series of four USATF-certified 5Ks?  What do you mean the course is a little long?

It was 19 degrees, a little windy and the course was clearly going to be quite a bastard with its tough hills and twists and turns.  The last thing I needed was there to be more of it.

There were about 40 people at Passaic County Technical Institute this morning; and, aside from the always amazing Rob Albano, whom everyone knew would be the obvious winner, nobody seemed truly jazzed to be there.

Yet there we all were, about to run this difficult (and "little long") course for the first of four times.  Apparently, this is the first time in a few years that this series has been held, so Rob seemed especially happy for it to be back.  Me, I have never done a race series before, so this would be a new experience for me.

At the "go" command, we ran downhill and around the main PCTI building for a full loop, passing where we started (so, you know, going back uphill) and onto Kattak Road, which continued to be an incline. During this first mile, I settled into third place, but quickly overtook the man in front of me for a brief time in second place. 


The first half of the PCTI Winter Series course

We turned around just before reaching Oldham Road and, as I approached the first mile marker with an exhausting 6:09, but not before I heard footsteps coming up behind me quickly.  I thought the guy I passed was ratcheting it up, but instead it was someone different and there was no overtaking him.  His stride was long, his turnover was measured and his speed could not be matched by the likes of me.

I was already feeling gassed, so heading downhill and around the main building again (the opposite direction) was a boost.  But it was back uphill again as we rounded one parking lot and then ran through another, cutting through the police academy area before making our way toward the northern entrance, back at the top of Kattak Road.  I do not know what my second mile was, but it was damn slow, I can tell you that.


The second half of the PCTI Winter Series 5K course

Pushing again and trying to use that downhill for all it was worth as we rounded the main building a third time, and, finally, to the finish in front of the building, I maintained my third place standing, but the second place guy made sure it was distant. A finish time of 19:41 would have been extremely disappointing if not for the fact that it was freezing cold and the course was, according to Gloria's Garmin, approximately 3.2 miles long.  That means my real time was probably closer to 19:04. All things considered, I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment