Saturday, November 10, 2018

Marathon XIX

After the Youngstown Marathon in June, I felt like I could do a quick turnaround to a July marathon.  I started eyeing the Mad Marathon in the Mad River Valley of Central Vermont.  Coming off of my hard effort in Youngstown, I could take in scenic rural Vermont and climb the tough hills at an easy pace, simply for the enjoyment of it all.

Unfortunately, that plan got destroyed when, in mid-June, during a routine eight-mile run, something pulled in my right leg.  I think it was my hamstring.  It hurt, so I took the next day off.  I tried to run again, but was in agony and took two more days off.  Tried again.  Pain.  Three days off...then four days...then five....six...

In all, with the exception of the trial runs, it took about seven weeks before I could run with any consistency (as in, two or more days in a row), so the rest of the summer was about building my strength back up.  It was also about having the opportunity to cheer for my wife, Gloria, as she ran the Run 4 North Caldwell 5K in early September, the Grace-in-Motion 10K in Fort Lee in late September, and Morristown's Superhero Halloween Half-Marathon in October.  I loved watching her kick butt this race season.

At some point, though, I need to train for something.  I am simply not good at maintenance running.  If I do not have a Hal Higdon workout chart on my fridge, with a race date at the end, I tend to feel lost.  So by the end of September, I gave myself a projected upcoming goal marathon, starting increasing the mileage, and followed Hal's Advanced I Marathon plan.  I knew what race I was aiming for, but did not register.  I just worked toward it.

At the end of October, despite various minor aches and pains (hey, I am 44 now - I accept that this is going to be the norm), I finally pulled the trigger and registered for what will be my 19th marathon, bringing my state total to 18 (I ran in New York twice) over the past 11 years.

My marathons have been (chronologically) in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Kansas, Massachusetts, Montana, Rhode Island, Delaware, New York, Utah, Florida, Maryland, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Maine, Nevada, Texas and Ohio.  What will be my 18th state?  Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment