Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Marathon XXII


Two quick turnarounds in the span of seven months?  Why not?

After the Mississippi Gulf Coast Marathon in December, I did the Louisiana Marathon six weeks later, but I was hurting after effectively tying my personal record.

But after the Hatfield & McCoy Marathon last month, I was feeling good (for a change).  I already set my sights on another one – the Mad Marathon on July 7 in Vermont, the 21st state in my increasingly difficult quest to run a marathon in all 50, each in under four hours, and on a very limited budget.  But I could make this work…

…as long as I did a long run while on Phish tour and got Gloria’s help to drive up to Waitsfield, Vt., backtracking up north two days after driving home from Saratoga Springs (which is essentially halfway to Waitsfield).

It also required truly committing to the “under four hours” rule, accepting that 3:59:59 would be a favorable result.  The Mad Marathon involves an awful lot of hills, ascending from around 600 to 1,600 feet above sea level.  In my previous marathon that involved a thousand-foot incline – the Red Rock Canyon Marathon in Las Vegas, Nev. – I learned my lesson from the one before that (the Park City Marathon in Utah) and took the advice of the fellow runner that suggested, “Start slow, and then back off.” I would have to abide by that philosophy again and not get carried away with myself.

After all, a 9-minute pace would still bring me in under four hours.

Running a sub-four marathon on an extremely challenging course, only four weeks after my last one, the week after a Phish tour, six hours away from home, leaving on Saturday and coming home on race day, then going to work on Monday?

That sounds like a ridiculous plan.  One would have to be mad.

Ah, the Mad Marathon it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment