Saturday, August 17, 2013

A big nine-mile breakfast




Those (few) that watched my little movie about my experience at the Boston Marathon all seem to remember one particular moment.

As I crested the infamous Heartbreak Hill, the last of a series of hills through Newton in the second half of the race, I looked right into the camera I was holding and yelled (huffing, puffing and all red-faced), "Is that it?? I'm from northern New Jersey!! I EAT HILLS FOR BREAKFAST!!!" 

See it in this segment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZikyUD6umqU&feature=youtube_gdata_player



Three years and four marathons later, I find myself daunted by the sight of the map and elevation chart for today's Park City Marathon.

The first notable challenge is the mixed terrain (paved roads, bike paths and dirt trails) and the myriad twists and turns in the route (will this be another Delaware?).

But the elevation chart is the real eye-opener.

It basically looks like a bell curve. The first mile is relatively flat (though starting at 6,400 feet above sea level). Then it shows a mile-long 200-foot upgrade followed by a slight drop and a flat stretch into mile seven.

And then it is all uphill for nine miles. Nine. Straight. Miles. Gradual at first, but then increasing to a 400-foot incline over two miles (14 to 16). That is more than just breakfast.

It is mostly downhill for the remaining 10 miles, save for a short, steep uptick in the 18th. Though cruising downward 600 feet for eight miles may sound like relief, it can be a painful hell on the Achilles and extensor tendons as well as the calves. After more than an hour of burning up the quadriceps, the sudden and relentless pounding on the lower leg muscles (with gravity adding force to the impact) may end up being torture.

Almost all of the reviews on marathonguide.com use words like "challenging" and "tough". They say it is not a PR course and I see why. 

But they also talk about its scenic beauty as one of the best. So will keep the same attitude I had in Missoula, Mont., two years ago. That race was not my best time, but it was a great time.

If all I am looking for is a PR, why travel so many miles? I am here to see Utah, not just run a race. I can not wait to take it all in.

Wish me luck. See you at the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment