Friday, November 22, 2013

Alexis runs Philly

This past winter I wrote about how I coached my friend Alexis as she trained for her first half-marathon.  After that race, it warmed my heart when she told me she was hooked.  As a missionary to spread the joy of running, she was my first convert. She even expressed interest in running a full marathon.

I suggested Philadelphia because it was my first and my decision to do it came hot off the heels of my first half-marathon.  I knew it was a fun race, a great course and big enough to get a big-city feel, but small enough to not be too overwhelming.  During the summer, she committed to it and started her training.

Check out Alexis' blog for the rest of the story, including all the excitement, nerves and emotions that comes with running one's first marathon: http://alexistarrazi.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/i-am-a-marathoner/

I could not be happier for her accomplishment.  Her story made me remember the joy of that first marathon - breaking barriers, everything being so new, the thrill of the crowds cheering as the finish line approaches.  Alexis reminded me of the essence of marathon running, something I may have lost along the way, emphasizing those lessons I learned a week earlier in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment