Thursday, September 25, 2014

Three days until the Clarence De Mar Marathon


Preparing to run a marathon never seems to get easier. In fact, the training has been harder and the taper as nerve-racking as ever.

I do feel better about the taper this time around though. Perhaps that is a result of having trained harder - following Hal Higdon's Advanced plan exactly as prescribed, rather than with the earlier modification of substituting a walk day for an easy run day.

I ran the tempo runs with gusto (the middle thirds in the low 6 pace), pushed hard in the speed work (2:56 in the 800s), and tried to nail my goal in the pace runs (7:08s) without going to fast or slow. Between those quality workouts, I took my easy runs extra easy, doing even the short ones at around an 8:00 pace. Some of the long run paces were well over 8, in fact.

With the training behind me, I feel really good about resting for the next two days. The work is done. All that is left is to run the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment