Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Trinity Academy Reindeer Run 5K

I have been following Hal Higdon's training programs since day one, so as per usual, the post-marathon plan was five weeks of marathon recovery, shifting gears to focus on the short and fast training. The plan culminates in a 5K and, I am happy to say, it often results in a PR or something close to it.

In fact, the last time I did it, in April after the Lower Potomac River Marathon, I did indeed (and rather unexpectedly) get a personal record at the Got 2B Safe 5K.  I wasn't expecting as much this time, but I threw my heart, soul and legs into this year's Trinity Academy Reindeer Run 5K with all my might.

I had run this race last year and nailed a third place overall finish with an 18:35.  So this year I knew to expect the incline for the first half and the decline for the second, and also that it consisted of only four turns, one of which is actually more like a veer than a pace-killing turn.

Expecting the competition to be similar to last year, I placed myself at the front at the start, so imagine my surprise when more than a dozen runners surged forth in front of me at the "go" signal.  Right off the bat, I watched the two major front-runners (at a sub-5:00 pace!) cruise off into the distance behind the pace car.

The first mile was clocked at 6:05, which was not acceptable; not with the speed work and pace runs I had been killing myself with, so I picked up the pace, no matter how much it hurt.  And it did hurt.

There was no clock at the second mile marker and I did not care, because no matter what numbers were, it would not have detracted from the mission of the next six minutes - to run as absolutely fast as I possibly could.

As I did just that, I started closing in on the teenager ahead of me. But as I got close, he must have heard me coming up behind him, so he pulled away.  This only caused me to push more.  And because I chased that kid with all my might, I saw the clock at the finish line - directly placed, rather unfortunately, after the one hard sprint-wrecking 90-degree turn - still in the 18:00 range.

I finished with an 18:40 (which means I averaged 5:57 for the second and third miles - nice!), only five seconds off of last year's result, but with this year's stiff competition, I placed 15th.  Still, of the 38 dudes in my new age group of 40-44, I placed Numero Uno and that makes me feel extra good about the work I put into it (not to mention the comfy, warm winter hat I received as a prize!).  Plus, 13th out of 341 total males and 15th out of more than 700 is something of which I am certainly proud. 

This race has everything I like in a 5K - a great course, a friendly vibe (great for families, by the way, with lots of kids' activities), wonderful people, excellent organization, and plenty of post-race bagels, bananas and hot chocolate.  And it is at a perfect time of year to recharge after an October or November marathon.  I may very well do it again next year.

Full results: www.compuscore.com/cs2014/novdec/caldrein.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment