Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reeling in the gluttony

I admit it.  I love to eat and I eat a lot.  Food is pleasurable.  It is comforting.

My diet consists of mostly healthy foods - fruits, vegetables and legumes - but I am not kidding when I tell you I eat them in bulk. Not long ago, I bought 21 pounds of apples and finished them all within three weeks.  Seriously.

But even good food has calories and they do add up, so even in the thick of the heaviest weeks of training - 50+ miles - I noticed I was gaining weight.  Almost 10 pounds, in fact.

Last week I pulled up my old "Daily Diet" Excel spreadsheets that I had set up a few years back when I wanted to lose some extra pounds during short race season, and have been sticking to the plan:

1500-2000 calories per day, plus 100 for each mile I run while still keeping the carbohydrate, protein and potassium counts high.

I do not enjoy restricting my food intake and I tend to get grouchy when I do, but already in the first 10 days, I have noticed a difference in how I feel and on the scale (three pounds already gone).  I will continue until the race (24 more days).

And then I am going to feed my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment