Friday, February 7, 2014

Bought myself a Garmin



On Saturday, I made the leap into the 21st century and bought a Garmin GPS watch - the simplest, most basic model, of course.

Throughout eight years of running, I have kept it pretty simple.  Gadgets are not my style. At first, all that mattered was the will to get out and run five days a week.

I got my first pair of Sauconys after my first few months of running in my beat up Skechers. In Year Two, I got serious about the rest of my clothes - technical polyester shirts and such.

For tunes, I carried my old Sony Discman for well over a year. My brother gave me my first iPod in the fall of 2006, a first generation Shuffle. But even then I sometimes carried my ancient cassette player to listen to my old Phish tapes.

And for timing, I used the stopwatch on my various iPod Nanos before switching to the newer Shuffle and buying a simple stopwatch with a lap timer.

But I wanted a tool that would help me with my pacing and would save me the hours spent mapping out courses on Google Maps. And I wanted it to be lightweight.
 

For $130 at Fleet Feet in Montclair, I bought the Garmin 120 in lime green and I already love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment