Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Big 100



Ah, the Phish lottery.



Even though the pre-sale ticket request lottery has been online for several years now, I still think back to the days of obtaining money orders, hand-writing the envelopes, filling out the forms, and making sure the exact rules specified in the Doniac Schvice newsletter were followed perfectly.



Though it is a much easier process now, I still get the same excited jitters.



And when the results are obtained (much sooner now, of course), it is always a rush of mixed emotions:



The Good News

This year’s lottery yielded my best returns ever – eight of the nine shows!  Either I got lucky or demand is low.  This morning, the tickets went on sale for the one show I was missing and within minutes, I snagged the ninth. 



The Bad News

As per usual, I will be a Lawn Boy.  That makes 9 for 9 at Saratoga Performing Arts Center; nine Phish shows at SPAC since 2004 and I have never been in the pavilion.  I will also be grazing in the grass for both nights at the Mann in Philadelphia.  The three nights at Randall’s Island in New York are general admission, so that could go either way – I may be able to work my way up to the front as I did at Bader Field in Atlantic City.



The Big 100

But here is the best part – I typically end up with one pavilion seat each summer.  This year’s was perfectly timed.  I will be in the pavilion for the first show of tour, at the former Great Woods in Mansfield, Mass., which also happens to be my 100th Phish show! 



Time to book the hotels!


No comments:

Post a Comment