Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Alec's Run X


This year, legislation passed requiring all new vehicles from 2018 forward to have cameras that increase visibility in the blind spot when in driving in reverse. This historic paradigm shift came about largely due to an organization called Kids and Cars, of which Bill and Adrienne Nelson of Dix Hills, N.Y., are a part.

The issue is personal for the Nelsons. They lost their toddler son, Alec, in a tragic accident more than a decade ago, when he was struck by a vehicle backing up. The driver simply could not see him.

Bill, a friend of my dad's, also happens to be an amazing runner, clocking 5Ks in the 17:00 range in his heyday. It made perfect sense that the way to raise money and awareness for Kids and Cars was a race in Alec's honor. Thus, Alec's Run, which held its 10th running this past Saturday in Dix Hills.

I ran this race, with its unconventional distance of four miles, with my mom eight years ago, sticking with her the whole time. Eight years later, in the best shape of my life and faster than ever, I was finally able to show my stuff.

A week and a half of hard training after my 5K PR left me with what might have been a case of hamstring tendonitis. I rested, iced and compressed that sucker for two rest days prior to the race. At go time, I was still nervous that things would go south, but when the race started, all attention in my body was focused solely on fast, efficient leg turnover.

Deliberately holding back in the mostly downhill first mile (starting in front of Half Hollow Hills West High School), determined to run fast but not to push at all, I was shocked to hit an effortless 5:44. With only five guys in front of me, I hung back some more, letting someone pass and hitting mile 2 with a 6:10. 

Mile 3 was entirely uphill, so I focused my energy on conquering the incline without letting it all out. I passed that same guy and another, too, securing my spot in fourth and nailing a 6:02 split. It was time to move. I did not think I would catch up to Keith Guilfoyle in third, but it was worth trying as I laid out every last bit of effort, pushing my body as hard as it would go. I finished with a 5:51 final mile and a 24:47 total.


Check out the finish line video.  I come in about a minute into it.


Sure my leg was throbbing after the adrenaline wore off, but I proved to myself that my new 5K PR was no fluke. Plus, I helped a good cause - one that, we hope, will prevent tragic deaths like that of little Alec Nelson.


Click here for the full results.

No comments:

Post a Comment