Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I will be running the Ashenfelter 8K race in nearby Glen Ridge, N.J., a huge Thanksgiving tradition that I have avoided throughout my running life because I never really liked big races.

But now, after the problems I had with my last few small races, I decided it is time to graduate to this race that will see around 2,000 people running the approximately five-mile distance.

There will be nothing even close to a win, not even in my age group (these cats are fast), and that is just as well.  It is perfect, in fact, because this race will remind me why I train hard in the first place.  It is not to beat the guys around me; it is to beat the clock.

I have put myself through some intense training this past month.  Some of my training runs have been faster than my 5K races.  If I can capture that energy tomorrow, I will be looking at a PR (6:01 pace or better).

No medal, no prize, just the satisfaction of knowing that at 41 years old after an injury that caused me to be sidelined for months (and it still has not been the same), I can still set personal records.  That is the best award - nay, reward - of all.

Here is hoping.



No comments:

Post a Comment