Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Ashenfelter 8K Classic, Glen Ridge, NJ


The doubt began to creep in at the starting line, where more than 3,000 runners were packed onto Ridgewood Avenue outside of Glen Ridge High School for this odd-distance race (8 kilometers is 4.97 miles, so why not make it a five-miler?). It boggled my mind that they could somehow pull this off for 16 Thanksgivings, as I stood squeezed in toward the front of the start with slower people and children that, despite the half-hearted warning from a race volunteer, were definitely going to be trampled. This was one thing I did not miss about large races.

The start gun fired with no fanfare and we were off...or rather, standing still, then walking, but as soon as I hit that starting mat, it was time to run regardless of the fact that I had to plow through a tangle of people that should have known better than to be in the front.

Thankfully, after that, everything went about as perfectly (and amazingly!) as I could have imagined. Doubt erased.

Zooming north on the straightaway of gentle inclines and descents on Ridgewood Avenue for the first mile and a half, I settled into what felt like a comfortably hard pace - enough effort to keep the speed up, but conserving enough for the next half hour of work. I figured I was right on my goal track of 6:01, so when I hit the first mile marker at 5:42 I was pleasantly surprised.

Easing back ever so slightly around the right turns onto Sunset Avenue and Forest Avenue (to head south again), I was sure that I evened out my splits to get back on goal pace (the motto is still "Run the Race for Which You Trained"), so it was another shocker that I nailed a 5:50.

Because it is such a huge race, there are other runners around at all times. Maybe it was a desire to keep up with the guys around me or at least to keep anyone from passing, but I managed to maintain that pace and still feel like I was not fully exerting myself. At the three-mile marker on the right turn on Osbourne Street, leading us to a left turn to get back on Ridgewood Avenue southbound, the clock read 17:30 as I posted a 5:48 for that mile. Even without the 10-second lag between the gun start and my chip start, I was in serious PR territory. If it was a 5K race, I would have actually - unbelievably - come in under 18 minutes, a feat beyond my wildest dreams.

However, with two miles to go, I had two options. I could eat my cushion, cruise the last two miles at a more comfortable 6:15 pace and still come in under 30, besting my 30:10 from last year's Sunset Classic (even adjusting for that .03 mile difference). Or, I could throw the motto out the window and embrace this amazing moment and push it to the limit.

Well, of course I chose the latter, even though I started to feel some fatigue by the time I passed up the start/finish before the southern loop for the final mile of the figure-eight course. My legs were getting a little heavy and my stomach was beginning the sickly churn that happens when I push too hard for too long. But I mentally swept it all aside knowing that, with a 5:53 for the fourth mile, this race was mine.

A left turn down the hill of Washington and a quick right onto Hawthorne Avenue led to a right on Maolis Avenue and back uphill to return to Ridgewood Avenue for the northward home stretch. That hill could have sapped everything I had in the tank, but somehow I powered up that thing with all my might and managed to catch my breath enough to shift into that extra gear for a sprint to the finish, passing two guys in the process and watching the clock flip into the 29-minute range.

I finished with a 29:06 on the clock and was handed a Top 100 finisher mug (69th place!). I was hurting, no question, but I felt strong and undeniably proud of my accomplishment. My chip time ended up being 28:56 - I was aiming to break 30 minutes and I managed to break 29. Adding those 10 seconds back to adjust for the extra .03 miles, I absolutely destroyed my five-mile PR by more than a minute. Insane.

More incredibly, that comes out to a 5:49 pace - much, much faster than any 5K I have ever run, yet I did it for two miles more. 


When I realized that, my next thought was "If I can recapture this energy in three days, I will be able to PR at my hometown race, the Passaic Valley Rotary Run..."

No comments:

Post a Comment