Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sunset Classic five mile race, Bloomfield, NJ, June 30

I'm not going to lie.  This was my show-off race.  

After exceeding my expectations at the Shwachman DiamondDash for a Cure less than two weeks prior, I did not think for a minute that a five-mile PR was in the cards for my third running (after 2009 and 2014) of the Sunset Classic in Bloomfield on June 30.  Frankly, I do not think I will ever have a better five-miler in me than the 29:05 (adjusted from 8K) in November.

No, the purpose of this race was singular.  For the first time ever, I specifically wanted to strut my stuff in front of friends and family.  I have a new girlfriend, Gloria, as well as longtime friends that have never seen me race.  My friends were never going to show up without an invitation (though I had always secretly hoped they would), so for this event, I decided to give them one.

The Sunset Classic is the perfect local short race for spectators.  With its downtown start and track finish, as well as free food on site and nearby bars and restaurants, it makes for a good time for everyone.  I tested this theory last year when I brought my friends, Jim and Ali, to watch together with me (even I like to be a spectator for this race).  Sure enough, they had a good time.

I did train hard, though.  The day after the 5K, I did 10 400-meter repeats averaging 1:25 each.  It hurt, but it was necessary.  I also blasted out a couple more intense tempo runs in that 10-day span after the 5K and before the Phish shows. 

So I was still my usual nervous self when I lined up on Broad Street at James Street in front of Town Pub.  Now that I had built it up for my friends, could I actually perform?  Would all that smoke I breathed in at the Phish shows cause a problem?  Just in case, I low-balled my crew and told them I was shooting for top 30 with a time between 30 and 31 minutes.  I was really aiming for top 10…and as close to my PR as possible.

On the go command, the butterflies in my stomach disappeared and the focus took over, riding the straightaway on Broad to a 5:37 first mile.  If 5:49 is PR pace, that gave me 12 seconds in the bank for the uphill climb after turning onto Sunset Avenue in Mile Two.  I used it, and more, with a 6:14, but knew that the coming downhill would help me make it up. 

I chipped away another few seconds with a 5:46 third mile, cruising along the relatively flat Forest Avenue (which now put me within 10 seconds of my PR), and barreling down Osbourne and Essex streets with all my might. 

I had settled into sixth overall place, gradually picking off runners, and pushed into fifth in the next mile as we turned on the final downhill of Glen Ridge Road and I hit a 5:50. 

Eleven seconds out from a PR with only a mile to go?  No making that up on this hot summer night (which, thankfully, got cooler as the sun went down and we ran through the shady side streets). 

Did that bother me?  Not a chance.  With an elapsed time of 23:30, I had 6:29 to get in under a half-hour, and that was all I wanted and needed to impress my friends.

Of course, there was also no chance that I would coast into the last mile at that pace, so I pushed hard.  Plus, I was closing the gap on the fourth place runner, Gene Makogons, finally passing him on Broad Street as we made our way toward Foley Field and the always-inspiring track finish. 

Looking up at the bleachers as we came around the back of the field, I saw (and heard!) Gloria, cheering her heart out for me.  I was hurting, but damn, it felt good to receive such positivity from my loved one as I edged into fourth place.


Gloria's photo of me (shirtless on the road) behind the bleachers before turning into Foley Field, unsuccessfully chasing down Michael Pawalowski (in black on the sidewalk) and with Gene Makogons (in blue), whom I had just passed, gaining on me.


The last time I ran this race, I rallied hard on the lap around the track into the finish line.  I dug deep for that extra gear again, but could not find it until after Mr. Makogons found his and blew past me in the final 200 meters.  All I could do was chase him with futility as we rounded the last turn - with him coming in at 29:12 and me trailing at 29:15 and a 5:45 final mile.


 Photo by Gloria, just after Mr. Makogens passed me in the last 200 meters.


 Awesome photo by my friend, Gavin, as I approached the finish line, with both of my feet in the air!


 Photo by Gloria, almost at the finish line, pushing with all my might.


Photo by Gloria at the finish.


I was in a whirlwind of fatigue and elation.  It was 56 seconds faster than my previous time on this course, only 9 seconds behind my five-mile PR, a fifth place finish overall in a field of 456, and a first place win in my age group; and Gloria, Ali, Gavin, Renee, Samantha, Allison, and Emily were there to witness it.  Once the very real feeling that I might vomit had passed, I gave Gloria a big sweaty, happy hug. 
The leaderboard, with me in fifth place!



This beautiful June night was my time to shine in front of some people whom I hold dear, just as my parents got to see me conquer my 5K PR only 12 days before.  Afterward, we partook in the spoils of yogurt, ice cream, and other treats, cheered in the rest of the runners, and reveled with beer (two free ones for each runner!) and food at Town Pub.  Perfect end to a perfect evening.


Gloria with me and my $25 gift certificate to Fleet Feet Sports in Montclair, my prize for winning my age group.


Be sure to read Shannon McGinn's report from this race on her "Creating Momentum!" blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment