Friday, April 5, 2013

Hands on a Hardbody - an honestly skewed review

I saw 'Hands on a Hardbody', the new Broadway musical co-written by Trey Anastasio during previews, about a month ago.

I saw it pretty much because of that co-writer (natch).

But over the past five years I have developed an unexpected appreciation for musical theater, thanks to my relationship with Karen - a singer and actress in many New Jersey community theater productions. In the time I have known her, I have seen community productions of "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris" (both of which starred Karen), "Into the Woods", "Kiss Me Kate", "Next to Normal", "Clue" and "Godspell" and I have enjoyed all of them thoroughly.  I even listen to the Broadway channel on Sirius XM on a semi-regular basis.

And, of course, I am a Phish fan.  So it made all the sense in the world to finally go see a real Broadway show because it was this Broadway show.  (For the record, I am a fan of Green Day, and they almost got me there with 'American Idiot'). 

Here is the funny thing - as much as I enjoyed 'Hardbody', it did not really feel like a Broadway show.  I was in New York City, at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre, watching an honest-to-goodness BROADWAY show, and I could not help but think, "This would make a great community theater production."

In the weeks since, I have read a bunch of reviews, some positive, some negative, most somewhere in between, and I seem to agree with all of them.  It does feel too small to be on Broadway alongside such monumental spectacles that are occuring down the block.  But it also is engaging, joyful, funny, touching and entertaining.

As for the music, what is not to like about music written by Trey Anastasio?

Am I biased? You bet! But so what?  To criticize the fact that I went into it already a fan of the writer is silly.  I am not a professional reviewer, so why would I go see any show (theater or otherwise) by someone I did NOT like?

If you are a Phish fan, go see 'Hardbody' because no matter how else you feel about a show that involves a bunch of people standing around the truck, you are going to like the music. 

Sometimes it sounds like Phish - the opening number has a nice funk groove and "I'm Gone" has all the makings of a great Trey ballad. 

Sometimes it IS Phish - "My Problem Right There" and "Burn That Bridge" have been played by Phish and Trey's solo band.

Sometimes there is no resemblence but there is a certain vibe that just feels familiar and like home - the uplifting final number "Keep Your Hands on It" will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

And because any good phan will be honestly critical, I will say there is one clunker of a tune called "It's a Fix". Hey, occasionally, you get a bad tune at a Phish show, too (if I never hear "Lifeboy" again, my life will not lack for it).

Plus, the actors seem to be putting their all into it and that truck, being the only stage prop of note, becomes quite the centerpiece as it is moved and shifted and turned throughout the show. 

The show bills itself as a new musical "Made in America" and that is no joke.  Every facet of every story told by every cast member is so distinctly American it is impossible not to relate to at least one of the characters.  It may take place in Texas, but its sentiment is thoroughly nationwide.

And hey, if you do not want to cough up Broadway prices for such a simple show, worry not - in a couple of years, I bet it will be playing at your local community theater.  I am sure it will be just as good.


1 comment:

  1. http://entertainment.time.com/2013/04/09/fastest-closing-new-broadway-musical-of-the-year-hands-on-a-hardbody/

    ReplyDelete