Saturday, April 6, 2013

Time for the short races

It is April.  It has been six weeks since the Central Park Marathon.  It is time to kick into gear with some short races.

Usually, when I do the post-marathon training, I am excited to change up my training program, trading long distance for short sprints, endurance for speed.  But after four grueling weeks of track intervals, tempo runs and sub-6:00 mile blasts, I was hurting in so many places - my Achilles tendon, my quads, my back, even my groin.

Is it worth it?  I do not even know.  I just know that this is what I have been doing for six years. Now in my late 30s, I think it is logical to assume that my fastest 5Ks are behind me, so why do I keep reaching for a 5:56 pace?

The only answer with which I can come up is "Why not?"

If I train for it, but do not actually achieve it, then at least I know I put my all into it; that I tried, to the best of my ability. Why not set the bar high?

So tomorrow I will run the Strides for Hope 5K in Livingston. (http://saintbarnabasfoundation.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=574)

And I am going to run as fast as I can.  Otherwise, why bother racing at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment