Monday, June 3, 2013

Going long again

Marathon training is underway. I was not yet sure what race to aim for, but I jumped into a training program anyway because after knocking out a 5K and 10K PR over the course of a few weeks, it was time to ditch the short game and start going long again.

My first choice was the Running With the Bears marathon, a tiny race in the mountains of northern California, n Aug. 17. Intimate vibe, gorgeous setting. Last year, only 38 people did the marathon, though 165 more did the accompanying 10K and half-marathon.

After the Boston tragedy, the idea of doing a larger marathon has become less appealing. Last month's New Jersey Marathon (understandably) added so many new security precautions it seemed to suck the fun right out. Pre-race time causes enough jitters as it is. Who needs the extra hassle?

But I dragged my feet and "Running with the Bears", capped at 300, sold out.

After a look through www.marathonguide.com, I found that the Park City Marathon in Utah is that same day. I am keeping that one on the schedule. Hopefully I will be able to get the guts to register and book a flight before that one gets sold out, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment