Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I'm going to MSG for New Year's Eve!

I was 25 the last time I saw Phish on New Year's Eve.  I am now pushing 40.  It has been 15 long years.

That is not for lack of trying and also a bit for lack of options.  To wit:

After the mother of all NYE shows (Big Cypress in Florida, 1999), Phish only played two such concerts in the next decade, both of which were in Miami.  In 2003 and 2009, I was not in much of a position to do that kind of traveling.

Since then, they have done every Dec. 31 at Madison Square Garden and I have tried to get tickets each time, both through the band's own mail-order system and through Ticketmaster.  I am happy and grateful to have attended excellent shows on Dec. 28, 29 and 30 in the past three years, but the golden ticket of New Year's was ever elusive.

Until now.  This year, after applying for all four nights through mail order, I received only one, but the best one of all.  Two days later, I landed the 28th and 29th through Ticketmaster.

Finally, it's time to break out the party hat and champagne flute (do I still have my Big Cypress flute??) and party down like I did in 1995, 1997 and 1999.  I can barely contain my excitement.  

Christmas?  Who cares about that?  Dec. 25 is just a stop along the way.  The real festivities begin on Dec. 28.  I hope to see you there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment