Friday, June 29, 2012

It's happening tomorrow...

...and I'm nervous! (?)

In the two weeks since the Phish shows, I have continued on the path of the Hal Higdon Advanced program.  My legs ached.  When my left leg did not feel like lead, my right leg was in agony.  I took my Thursday rest day and on Friday felt only a little better.

But I was sure of one thing - this was no injury.  Not a pull or a tear or anything like that.  It was simple overuse.  I was pushing hard and I was feeling the effects.

Funny thing, though - I still managed to do my three days of speed work each week.  Even through the pain, I was knocking out 400 meter intervals at 1:26, miles at sub-6-minute pace, and tempo runs of up to six miles.

And so, with a blessed and well-deserved TWO rest days before I finally get to do my first short race of the year, I can feel the sweet relief of repair in my legs.  Two days ago, I could barely walk.  Today, I am filled with stored up energy - some of it is potential energy just waiting to be kicked into kinetic energy in 13 hours.

But some of it is nervous energy.  After dozens of races, I still get nervous.  Why?  

Well, for this one, it is because I have been training extra hard.  I want all of this pain to have been worth it.  All I need to do finish in less than 18 minutes of 30 seconds tomorrow, a mere 18 and a half minutes of pain, for it to be all worthwhile. 

See you tomorrow at the Include Me 5K in Montville, N.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment