Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Short run and mile repeats in Atlantic County

It was a late night after the Phish show on June 16. I spent the wee hours roaming the Boardwalk, taking photos and enjoying a cool night at the shore, so Sunday morning, I ate breakfast at the hotel and promptly went back to sleep. In the early afternoon, I did a very slow five-mile run as my leg was in great pain, thanks to the previous day's long run plus dancing like crazy at the Phish show (not to mention leaping with joy at the climax of "Fluffhead") and walking around all night.

Monday, I had to check out of the hotel by noon, so I could not be so leisurely. Instead, I woke up after about five hours of sleep and tried to do speed work along the highway (Route 30). Using the posted mile markers, I did three fast (5K pace) mile repeats. Because the markers were not at every mile or half mile, I did one-and-a-half miles for one of the intervals.

Either I was more wiped out than I had thought or too full from another big breakfast (or both) because while I blasted out the first one at 5:47, I rapidly declined. The 1.5-mile interval was 9:21 (a 6:14 pace) and the last mile was 6:26. Averaged out, that would make a 19:04 5K. Not bad, but that was done with a half-mile jog between each interval. I know that I am definitely capable of running faster but my leg still felt like lead.

More than two months since the marathon and less than two weeks until my hopeful first 5K of the year, I am still unsure of whether I will be able to perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment