Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Racing, resting and relaxing in Rhode Island

On April 14, I will be running the Gansett Marathon in Rhode Island. I picked this race for three reasons:

First, I wanted to run an April race.

Second, the fact the the only means of entry is by qualification - and that I had already qualified with my Missoula Marathon result - made it feel special.

Lastly, the course runs from Naragansett to Point Judith and back. Point Judith happens to be the gateway to my favorite getaway place - Block Island.

I wrote much about Block Island in my old blog, Heart and Soles. I have gone there an average of once a year since 2005 (I missed 2007, but went twice in 2006). I ran its Run Around the Block 15K twice ('06 and '09). I went there with bands to play shows ('05 and '06) and with Karen for romantic getaways ('08, '09 and '10) as well as a post-breakup friendly winter jaunt ('11).

This time, I am going with my good buddy and former roommate, Lee. He is accompanying me to the marathon and then we're hopping the ferry to the Block for three days of rest and relaxation and some quality bro time.

Lee is one of my the only single male friends I have left. And while I still love my married friends and their wives, and absolutely adore their children, and I still enjoy hanging out with Karen, a single guy needs single-guy friends to hang with. It's something married folks can not understand because their lives revolve around their families (as they should!), just as I can not wrap my head around what it must be like to be a family man.

So it'll be Lee and me and an island that will just be awakening for the spring season. We'll probably drink too much and stay up late and be stupid but, you know, that's what single guys do.

No comments:

Post a Comment