Monday, April 9, 2012

The end of training

The last day of hill sprints (almost three weeks ago), brought welcome relief.

The last long run was anti-climactic and discouraging.

The last tempo run was disappointing.

The sudden boost of speed and spirits over the weekend did much to brighten my outlook on an ending that had become increasingly disheartening.

Even though I tried one more time to do a pace run (7:01) for my three-miler yesterday, I ended up going too slowly (7:12) from pushing through the wind.

Still, I had that renewed and hopeful spring in my step today as I did my last speed training session. It was a short one, so I wanted to make it count - four 400-meter (one lap) intervals on the track, each with a jogged lap afterward, bookended by an easy mile, for a total of four miles in around 30 minutes.
The speed intervals were incredible. The goal was 1:28 for each. My times were 1:25, 1:25, 1:25 and 1:23 (!). Each time, I got that old feeling from way back of being Superman, flying instead of running.

The race is Saturday and there are no more training runs of any substance in the next four days. Just three miles tomorrow and three on Friday.

And for the first time in more than two weeks, I feel as if I am ready. Really ready. Gansett Marathon, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment