Friday, April 20, 2012

Relaxing (but not resting) on Block Island

After the race my friend, Lee (who accompanied me on the trip for some fun and good cheer), and I hung around the Narragansett area. We went to the beach (though it was a bit windy and chilly) and enjoyed the day. We ate a lot, got a little tipsy, and stayed the night near Scarborough Beach. In the morning, we headed out on the noon ferry to Block Island, my favorite getaway spot, where I have gone on extended weekends once a year for the past eight.

If you do not know, Block Island is a tiny island that sits 12 miles off the coast of the state of Rhode Island. It is so far out into the water that it is only 14 miles from Montauk, the tip of Long Island, New York. It is the smallest municipality (13 square miles) with the smallest population (900) in the smallest state in the country. And it is gorgeous.

We had a great room (the Alice Mae) at the Dodge Cottage, which included excellent champagne buffet breakfasts at the 1661 Inn. We stuffed ourselves silly during those breakfasts and the dinners at the Poor People's Pub and Mohegan Cafe. And, as promised, we consumed more than a bit of alcohol. With the car on the mainland, there was no danger of drinking and driving!

During the days, I was supposed to be resting, it was hard to resist the fun of renting bicycles and tooling around the island for hours, hiking the Greenway trails, and discovering beach areas to which I had not yet been. It was unseasonably warm on Monday and Tuesday, so we totally lucked out for outdoor activity. I am guessing here, but I would say I probably biked about 25 miles on Monday and hiked around 15 on Tuesday. Amazingly, my legs did not hurt a bit.

We returned to the mainland on Wednesday morning and though I had not been physically as inactive as I probably should have been, I felt wonderfully rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment