Thursday, July 11, 2013

Eleventh week

Most of Hal Higdon's marathon training programs are 18 weeks, with the first 10 weeks dedicated to building up mileage.

And then comes Week 11.

No matter how fit, how tough, how sure of myself I am by the end of the 10th week, the 11th has a way of taking a hit to my ego, bringing me back to the reality of the feat of running a quality marathon.

While I am doing it, mind you, I feel like an invincible tough guy.

Week 11 of the Advanced 1 program consisted of a four-mile run on Sunday (the day after a 19-miler), then a 10-miler, a five, a 45-minute tempo run, a rest day, 10-miler, and the first 20 on the schedule. That is a 56-mile week for me.

Trying to be a bad-ass, I attempted to make the Friday 10-miler a pace run (done at goal marathon pace). Though I came close (7:04), I did not make pace (7:01). It was a good thing my 20 was on the flat D&R Canal path the next day. Had there been hills, I would have burned out.
It is after Week 11 that I feel torn up, fatigued, and taken down a few pegs from tough-guy status.  I have truly learned to appreciate why Mr. Higdon follows the "peak" weeks with "step-back" weeks. A 42-mile week should feel like a vacation, but following such a grueling week, it is a feat to accomplish.

Week 12 is sobering for the tough guy of Week 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment