Sunday, July 7, 2013

Too much wind and tough long run

On the Friday of my vacation week in Block Island, I tried to do a nine-mile pace run in the whipping wind blowing through the island.  As if that did not slow me down enough, the hills made it even harder.  I was proud of myself for managing a 7:05 pace, just four seconds per mile slower than my goal marathon pace.

However, it wore me out for Saturday's long run of 18 miles.

Tracing mostly the same route as the previous week's run, with a little added on at the end (on the hills of the Mohegan Bluffs, no less), I soldiered through, even though I was feeling much too weak for the task.  I had not gotten a lot of sleep because I had to get up early so we could check out of the cottage so I was tired from the start.

I knew it was my last chance to look around and take in the island before hopping on the ferry to come home that afternoon, but it was hard to enjoy as I struggled to put one foot in front of the other.  By Mile 12, as I rounded Cooneymus Road onto Center Avenue, my pace was well over 8:00...and getting slower.

I finished the last few miles (all hilly) on sheer will alone, and when it was time to leave the island, I was shot.  Karen and I had a nice breakfast at the Harborside Inn, overlooking Old Harbor, then got on the ferry to go home.  I asked Karen to take the wheel for the long drive home from Rhode Island to New Jersey and I conked out.

Though I did not exactly want to end my vacation on that note, I still feel thoroughly satisfied and extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to do seven runs, including two long runs, at my favorite island getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment