Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How not to recover from a difficult marathon...


After re-gaining my senses in the First Aid tent at the Park City Marathon in Utah, I drove the half-hour to my hotel in Sandy, took a shower, checked out, and got on the road.  I had four more days in the state and I needed to see as much as possible, starting with Arches National Park.

Before making the trek to Arches, I stopped at the local supermarket.  I was feeling weak and not hungry at all.  Still, I figured I had better grab some healthy food for the road trip.  A kind gentleman at the hotel gave me his giant Styrofoam cooler (he was checking out and heading to the airport), so I bought some cold food like yogurt and various fruits and veggies.  Plus the cooler was already stocked with some beer and whiskey (score!).

What I did not buy was anything with carbohydrates or protein (besides the yogurt) or salt.  Pretzels would have been a great idea.  Protein shakes would have been a good idea.  Instead, I ate a head of kale for dinner.  You read that correctly - a head of raw kale.  And some grapes.  Way to replenish the muscles, Daniel.

Then, following a few hours on the road, when I finally got to Arches in the evening, I cracked open a brewski.  Yes, beer for dessert. 

To cap off the evening, did I tuck myself into some comfortable hotel bed, soothing my aching body with the comfort of a soft, thick mattress?

No, I pulled into a parking lot at Arches, put the seat back, and slept in the driver's seat of my rental car.


On the plus side, this was my view (the Windows Arches) as the sun went down and I got ready to drift away to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment