Monday, October 14, 2013

Recovery Day Four

With a morning flight booked out of Salt Lake City, I needed to return my rental car and check in for my flight. I found the nearest gas station and in my haste filling up, spilled gas on my shoes.

And man, I was thirsty - good thing I have that water in the...oh shit, I forgot about the cooler in the trunk.

I removed the remaining water bottles, dumped the ice in the gas station lot, and chucked the cooler in the nearest Dumpster. Realizing I still had a quarter-bottle of Jack Daniel's, emptied the whiskey into one of the water bottles.  No point in letting that go to waste.  So I returned the car, guzzled the water, and then, in the airport, pounded the JD.

Sitting in the Salt Lake City airport at 10 in the morning, smelling like gas, drunk from a whiskey breakfast, and still having not had a proper meal in the three days since the race, I had set myself up for a world of hurt when running resumed the next day.

But at least I came back from Utah with some stories to tell.  That is what adventures are all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment