Friday, October 4, 2013

Post-Marathon Day Two

To Zion!

I spent Day Two of my not-quite-recovery at Zion National Park in southwestern Utah.  This meant more hiking, more blazing sun, and still not much eating.

In retrospect, I can not fathom why food did not figure into my days, but I ate the bare minimum - the yogurt and the raw fruits and vegetables that I bought on Saturday.  I drank a case of water, though.  Thankfully, I knew that to be important.

All the while, I explored Zion as much as one could in a day.



I even took a horseback ride along the canyon river.




By the end of the day, I was beat.  Utterly fatigued from two-and-a-half days of not recovering from the marathon.  The plan was, initially, to sleep in the car one more night instead I drove north through the night and checked into a hotel in West Valley, Utah, at around 1 a.m. 

First order of business - a shower.  I was filthy.  Then a solid night's sleep in a comfortable bed.

Around that time, it had occurred to me that I had not moved my bowels in almost three days.  And that was when I realized that I had not handled my recovery correctly.  If I was not taking in food, where was my body getting its nutrients?  Probably taking it from my muscles, which were already depleted.  Bad news.

Tuesday morning - big breakfast.  No doubt about it.  But the damage was already done.



No comments:

Post a Comment