Thursday, October 3, 2013

Still not recovering at Arches National Park


Waking up to this view is pretty awesome if you ask me (same view as last night, but at sunrise):







I spent most of the day after the race at Arches National Park, hiking some trails and taking in the natural beauty of one of Utah's treasures.

By the time I did the hike up to Delicate Arch (the famous one you see on postcards, Utah license plates, tourist websites, etc.), the sun was blazing and the temperature was in the mid-90s and there was absolutely no shade. I brought plenty of water with me and hydrated like crazy, but once again, eating did not seem to cross my mind.

With wobbly legs and some leftover fatigue, I managed to hike the 1.5-mile trail which went uphill almost 500 feet.  All worth it.





But it was soon time to leave Arches...





 ...because I had another destination to reach by the end of the day - the Four Corners, the only place in the country where four states meet.  The park in which that spot sits is on Native American land and it closes at 8 p.m.  I got there at 7:30.  Whew!

Here I am standing in both Arizona and New Mexico (with Utah and Colorado over the line in front of me) adding two more states to my goal of getting to all 50.  That makes 43.



And by 9 p.m., I began my drive through the night across northern Arizona and back into Utah on its southwestern side to visit Zion National Park.

But not before a photo with one of the official welcome signs.



It was a day and a half after the race and I still had not eaten a meal, slept in a bed or showered.  I was having too much fun to realize I was doing everything wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment